Friday, August 28, 2009

Highway MPG rating seems completely wrong

If you check out the MPG ratings on the Ford Motors website you find ratings of:

city: 41 MPG
highway: 36 MPG

I've been driving the FusionH for close to 2 months now and have never gotten lower then 42 MPG on the highway, and usually it's 43 or 43.5. I have no idea why the EPA rating is so low. There isn't that much that I've found that can boost your fuel economy on the highway, I just drive really, that's about it. Since the gas engine is on all the time above 47 mph, then I haven't figured out much I can do to boost it. How the figure of 36 was derived I have no idea.

Anyone have a different experience, and getting better (or worse) highway mileage? Also, looking for tips on highway hypermiling if any. I usually drive about 65 to 70.

5 comments:

  1. Can't comment on the mileage, but you sure peaked my interest in this car!

    Bring Back Pluto
    "ONE of THE GUYS"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that I get high 40's for highway mph by NOT hypermiling and just letting the fusion computer do the work with a very light foot. By NOT hypermiling I mean specifically pulse and glide at highway speeds. It just doesn't equal out to what I get if take my fusion up to 60 and back off the accelerator ever so slightly to keep only the pressure needed to maintain the speed. Once I back my foot off slightly, I usually see my instant mpg gauge go from low 40's to mid to high 40's or even 50 without doing anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting. What speed are you driving at to get the high 40's. I'm usually at 65 - 70 as mentioned. If I drove slower that might get me up to your numbers. High 40's is terrific. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I average about 60 mph but can also get the mid to high 40's at 65 although I've not really done this for an extended period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is surely interesting stuff and I would sure like to know how I could get these figures in the high 40's. I did a road trip last week and came in around 43.5 cruising 65-70. Your figures are substantially better then mine, how long are your trips, are they like over 20 miles or are they short? Is there a non-highway section that comes before you get to the highway that could possibly be boosting these? Thanks for the comments, this is great stuff.

    ReplyDelete