Thursday, August 13, 2009

First drives

My goal in starting this blog is to provide hypermiling info on the Fusion Hybrid. That is, to help owners who are interested in maximizing their MPG, learn how to do so by communicating with other FusionH owners.

So what have the MPG results been so far?

The FusionH is rated at 41 MPG. I'm not sure if that is city or highway or both. But anyway, right out of the box, my wife drove home on the highway and got 44 MPG. That night, I did my first drive. This was a suburban drive (taking my son over to a party about 3 miles away). I was new to the car, but tried to drive light just to see what would happen. 52.7 MPG! My gosh if this is my first effort, that's pretty amazing I thought. I was impressed.

Now, this was a short route so not much of a scientific test. I just tried to go light on the accelerator. I was watching the EV gauge trying to keep the Fusion running on electric as much as possible.

In the next post, I'll start getting into details about the gauge system (Ford calls it the SmartGauge). This is an excellent design and makes it fun and relatively easy to really boost your MPG. Stay tuned, more fun to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment